Connect with us


Granny delivers food to widowed daughter daily from Toa Payoh to Bedok for three years



Rain or shine, an elderly woman has been delivering food to her widowed daughter every day for the past three years.

According to Lianhe Wanbao, the 70-year-old mother would take a bus from Toa Payoh to Bedok Reservoir Road, just to deliver a meal.

Ever since the death of her husband, the 40-plus-year-old daughter has not stepped out of home.

The elderly woman would persuade her daughter to open her door to eat her meals.

Sometimes, she would have to knock and plead for two to three hours before the door would open.

Residents in the area say it’s a common sight to see the granny standing outside her daughter’s unit, knocking on the door and shouting her name, sometimes until her voice became coarse.

She would stand outside the door for more than two hours, just so she can catch a glimpse of her daughter’s face.

Reporters visited the block on the evening of 22 February 2018 and a resident said that the granny had visited at around 4:00 pm on the same day, and left at 6:00 pm.

The resident also revealed that the woman visits the 7th-floor unit nearly every day.

A female neighbour, 30, who declined to be named told reporters that the granny’s daughter, in her 40s, is a widow.

“I heard from the granny that after her daughter’s husband passed away, she became a changed person. She would stay cooped up in her flat all day long and never take a step out.” said the neighbour.

“The granny has to visit every day just to deliver food to her.”

Reporters visited the block again the following afternoon of 23 February 2018 at around 4:00 pm, and saw the granny, carrying a plastic bag and knocking on the door of the seventh floor unit.

She kept calling out her daughter’s name as she knocked at the door profusely.

Despite her persistence, no one answered the door.

The granny became exhausted after a while and left for the void deck, where she sat on a stone bench to rest.

At around 6:00 pm, she went up to the unit again, knocking on the door and pleaded with her daughter to open the door.

She stood outside the door for around 15 minutes before someone finally came to the door.

Reporters saw a skinny and frail woman standing at the door.

The granny had an expression of bliss written all over her face as she handed over a meal box and bread over to the woman.

Standing outside the metal gates, the granny talked to the woman, who had no visible reactions.

The granny was not bothered and continued chatting as she watched her daughter finish up the food in the box.

About half an hour later, she collected the empty meal box and left happily.

Reporters then approached the granny and spoke to her.

She told them that she stays in Toa Payoh and will take a bus every day to Bedok Reservoir Road to deliver food to her daughter.

Sighing, she said: “After her husband passed away, she never once went out by herself. If I don’t come over, how will she get food?”








Most Popular

Copyright © 2018 The Local Society. All rights reserved. | The Local Labs Group